Bingo has been a favored game for centuries. It’s very easy to learn and enjoy in just a matter of minutes. Millions of people play bingo every day, making it one of the most popular games in the world.
Here are five fun facts about playing bingo that you might not already know:
- Bingo wasn’t the game’s original name. Although we all know it as bingo, the popular game was originally known as beano. The game got its name because players covered their numbers with beans. The name change has been credited to New York businessman Edwin Lowe. He was working on a version of the game for children and started playing at home with his family. One family member excitedly called out “bingo” instead of “beano” when they had a winning card. The name has remained ever since. One exception is Australia, where the word “housie” is called instead of “bingo.”
- Bingo is over 500 years old. The game was created in Italy in 1530. It’s known there as Lo Giucco del Lotto D’Italia. Bingo is still played every Saturday in many Italian cities to this day.
- The average bingo player is under 40 years old. When the word “bingo” is mentioned, most people may automatically think of silver-haired senior citizens playing the game at a local bingo parlor. In reality, the average age of most bingo players is under 35.
- Most bingo games are completed in less than 10 minutes. While there are some marathon tournaments for blackout and other game variations, the typical game of regular bingo is done in 5 minutes or less. An average of 23 numbers is called during each game.
- There are over a million ways to win. Using a standard bingo card and playing by traditional rules, there are many ways to win. There are over one million different winning combinations. All it takes is a little luck and having the right numbers called at the right time!
Bingo is known for being a great social activity. It’s brought many family members and friends together over the decades. Playing bingo is also a great way to relieve stress. The game has also been proven to help improve the cognitive abilities of its players. It helps keep you more focused and mentally alert while you’re playing.
The game of bingo has also been used as an educational tool. German schoolteachers have been using the game to help their students learn about numbers and the multiplication tables since the 1800’s. Bingo has also been a very popular activity for fundraisers, non-profits and other charitable causes every year – click this article on basic rules of bingo.
Bingo is a game that you can play anywhere at any time. You can get a few friends or relatives together and have an enjoyable evening playing the game. You can rummage around your closet to find a few prizes that people can win, but most people play bingo for the enjoyment and camaraderie. You don’t have to be an expert to play. It’s a simple game that anyone can enjoy. A perfect activity rain or shine, and one that’s sure to put smiles on the faces of the people you play with. Have fun!